Child Custody Laws for Unmarried Parents

Child Custody Laws for Unmarried Parents

Child custody, visitation, and support is an important part of the divorce process. But when an unmarried couple separates, arrangements for their children are often left up in the air. Parents should try their best to maintain a civil relationship with their former partner, for the sake of the child. However, even in an amicable, cooperative situation, setting up legal arrangements for your children is the best way to protect your parental rights. In this post, we answer some frequently asked questions about parental rights and child custody laws for unmarried couples.

Does primary custody always go to the mother?

When a child is born to unwed parents in South Carolina, sole physical custody is automatically assumed by the biological mother. A father must take action to be awarded any kind of parental rights. An unmarried father may find it very difficult to win custody over a good mother. If he takes the proper legal steps, however, he can secure some custody or visitation rights.

How does the child custody process work?

For divorcing couples, the husband is presumed to be the father for any children conceived during the time of marriage. But the first step for unwed parties seeking custody arrangements is to establish paternity with the court. Paternity can be established in a number of ways, but usually a simple genetic test will suffice.

Parents are then encouraged to work together to create a parenting plan (also called a parenting agreement). A parenting plan details custody and visitation arrangements, as well as agreements on other major parenting decisions like health care and education. If the two parties agree on a parenting plan, a judge can sign off on it and incorporate it into a legally binding court order.

If the parties cannot reach an agreement through mediation, one or both parents can petition the court to grant their custody or visitation requests. They will be granted a hearing, and a judge will decide what custody and visitation arrangements are in the best interest of the child. If modifications to these arrangements need to be made, parents can make changes through mediation or by petitioning the court.

What will the Court look at when deciding custody?

If custody is to be decided by a judge or jury, the Court will try to answer the following questions to determine custody arrangements:

  • What is in the best interest of the child? (This is the most important factor)
  • Who is the primary caregiver?
  • What is the child’s preference (if old enough)?
  • Are the parents financially stable?
  • Do the parents demonstrate good moral character?
  • Is there a history of violence, drug abuse, or neglect?

Contact Us Today for Professional Assistance

If you have recently split from your child’s other parent and do not have a parenting plan in place, it is best to speak with a child custody lawyer right away. Even unmarried couples with no intentions of breaking up may want to proactively make arrangements together to protect their parental rights. Serving Mt. Pleasant, Charleston, and the surrounding areas, the experienced attorneys at Klok Law Firm LLC can give you the legal help you need.

Contact us today for help.

  • Football Solutions Georgia leave it late to break Maltese resistance - News
    Posted at 23:45h, 04 November

    Argentina will be without Ezequiel Lavezzi in the Copa America final after he broke his left elbow in the second half of his team’s 4-0 semi-final win against the United States on Tuesday. Ezequiel Lavezzi ruled out of Copa America final after Argentina star breaks his elbow in dramatic fall over advertising hoardings

  • Kim Kulig (Germany)
    Posted at 14:36h, 22 November

    Goals from returning midfielder Tom Rogic and striker Odsonne Edouard gave the home side a comfortable interval lead with French midfielder Olivier Ntcham adding a third from the penalty spot. Celtic 3-1 Livingston: Tom Rogic, Odsonne Edouard and Olivier Ntcham ensure champions get off to a flyer

  • eebest8
    Posted at 16:52h, 13 March

    “I’m not sure exactly why but this blog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.”

  • Marketing & Advertising Agency in Dallas Fort Worth
    Posted at 23:58h, 14 March

    Very neat article. Great.

  • dig this
    Posted at 07:57h, 19 March

    I loved your post.Thanks Again. Really Great.

  • Auto Insurance Surrey
    Posted at 07:05h, 20 March

    Say, you got a nice blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.

  • Commercial Electrician in East Auckland
    Posted at 12:12h, 20 March

    Thank you ever so for you article post. Really Great.

  • Timber Flooring in North Shore
    Posted at 18:42h, 20 March

    Major thankies for the blog post.Really thank you! Really Cool.

  • ikea furniture assembly
    Posted at 20:09h, 22 March

    Muchos Gracias for your blog. Keep writing.

  • Virginia braiding salon
    Posted at 01:34h, 23 March

    Thanks a lot for the article post.Really thank you! Much obliged.

  • government jobs india - gjv
    Posted at 08:19h, 23 March

    Really informative blog. Awesome.

  • More hints
    Posted at 17:27h, 24 March

    I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I certainly enjoyed every bit of it. I’ve got you saved as a favorite to check out new things you post…

  • JTHCF1D21E5200143
    Posted at 08:57h, 25 March

    I appreciate you sharing this blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

  • office furniture installers
    Posted at 12:20h, 25 March

    Enjoyed every bit of your post. Will read on…

  • women corset
    Posted at 07:06h, 27 March

    Say, you got a nice article.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.

  • MAKE MONEY IN RECESSION And The Chuck Norris Effect
    Posted at 12:26h, 28 March

    Thank you for your blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.

  • chwilówki
    Posted at 23:22h, 29 March

    I truly appreciate this blog.Really looking forward to read more.

  • Learn To (Do) MAKE MONEY IN RECESSION Like A Professional
    Posted at 19:40h, 31 March

    Thanks-a-mundo for the post.Thanks Again. Cool.

  • home page
    Posted at 19:25h, 03 April

    Thank you ever so for you article.Much thanks again. Really Cool.

  • brazilian kinky curly hair extensions
    Posted at 12:30h, 04 April

    I really enjoy the article post.Thanks Again. Awesome.

  • You Tube: Pitkin Sympathy Florist
    Posted at 21:35h, 04 April

    I loved your article.Much thanks again. Really Great.

  • Tours Tasmania
    Posted at 06:03h, 05 April

    Thanks again for the blog.Really thank you! Awesome.

  • Austgex
    Posted at 04:35h, 08 April

    Recherche Clomid Propecia Mendoza Buying Viagra In The Caribbean cialis Information On Cephalexin Where Can Buy Viagra Cheapest Price

  • Hire seo freelancer from $150/month on Fiverr
    Posted at 05:51h, 12 April

    This website certainly has all of the information I needed about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

  • CBD
    Posted at 14:22h, 12 April

    Very good blog article.Much thanks again. Will read on…

  • minecraft
    Posted at 11:45h, 14 April

    It’s not my first time to pay a quick visit this site, i am browsing
    this web site dailly and take good information from here

  • minecraft
    Posted at 02:03h, 16 April

    You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this
    topic to be actually something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and very broad for
    me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of

  • Food Packaging
    Posted at 09:35h, 17 April

    I appreciate you sharing this post.Much thanks again. Cool.

  • bonus code
    Posted at 13:16h, 17 April

    Major thanks for the blog post.Thanks Again. Keep writing.

  • male masturbator
    Posted at 08:33h, 19 April

    I loved your article.Much thanks again. Really Cool.

  • suction cup dildo
    Posted at 12:27h, 19 April

    Very good post.Really thank you! Great.

  • jelly vibrator
    Posted at 20:29h, 19 April

    I really like and appreciate your blog.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.

  • minecraft
    Posted at 13:21h, 20 April

    I constantly spent my half an hour to read this
    blog’s articles or reviews daily along with a cup
    of coffee.

  • InventHelp Invention Marketing
    Posted at 04:55h, 21 April

    Hey, thanks for the blog post.Really thank you! Really Great.

  • minecraft
    Posted at 06:51h, 22 April

    Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your
    site? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours
    and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of
    the information you provide here. Please let me know if
    this ok with you. Thank you!

Post A Comment