The VA uses fuzzy math to determine your combined disability rating. Start with the greatest disability and then use the combined rating chart to determine your overall rating. If you have one at 40% and another at 20%, the total is not 60% but instead is 50% overall.  See the Guidelines the VA uses to Calculate Compensation Rates.