First and foremost, the parties must fully disclose their financial status. In South Carolina, the parties are required to execute a Financial Declaration. Be sure to fill out your financial declarations fully, execute before a notary, and exchange them before you sit down to negotiate. From there, consider the following:
- Don’t make emotional decisions as it relates to property. For example, you may not be able to afford the mortgage on the marital home, consider selling it.
- Focus on what you want to accomplish not your hard line in the sand.
- Communicate with each other.
- Focus on the issues, not the other person.
- Tax consequences.
- Value your property before you separate,