In order to protect your credit during a divorce, you may want to
- Close or separate joint accounts.
- Take your spouse off as an authorized user.
- Pull your credit reports and monitor your credit score.
- You may want to consider freezing your credit in some situations.
- Refinance whenever you can, mortgages and vehicles.
- Keep paying all bills until you can separate your accounts, at least send in the minimum payment on all individual or joint accounts.
- Establish your credit independent, by getting a credit card that has a small credit limit and pay your bills on time.
- If you cannot get credit on your own, as a family member or friend to co-sign on a loan or credit application. After paying on time for a few months, try again to get credit on your own.
Build a positive credit history.