If you become incapacitated, mentally or physically, the Court will appoint a guardian or conservator to handle your affairs. To avoid this situation, you should have a Durable Power of Attorney for Financial Matters, as well as a Durable Healthcare Power of Attorney (along with HIPAA release) along with a Living Will, if applicable. The person you appoint will act on your behalf.