The International Divorce Process

The International Divorce Process

Sometimes a couple’s divorce is complicated because one of the spouses lives overseas or is a resident of another country. The international divorce process can be complicated because the divorce requires an intersection between international law and American law. While there may be special considerations when filing for an international divorce, don’t let that stop you from getting a divorce if you believe your relationship needs one. Contact an experienced South Carolina international divorce lawyer today.

Special Considerations For the International Divorce Process

There are many reasons why a spouse who is seeking a divorce may choose to file for divorce in the United States over another country. It might be because one of the spouses live in the US, works in the US, or because the laws governing divorce are more favorable in the States than when obtaining a divorce in their respective foreign country.

When one or both of the spouses are residing in South Carolina, it is possible to obtain an international divorce in the United States. However, the first major hurdle in an international divorce is that at least one spouse must satisfy their state’s specific residency requirements in order to have the standing to file for divorce. In South Carolina, the residency requirements under S.C. Code Section 20-3-20 are:

  • When a spouse who is a resident of South Carolina is seeking a divorce, the resident spouse must be a resident of South Carolina for a period of one year—if the other spouse is not a resident of South Carolina.
  • When a spouse who is seeking a divorce is not a resident of South Carolina, but the other spouse is a resident of South Carolina, the other spouse must have been a resident for a period of one year.
  • When both spouses are residents of South Carolina, the residency requirement is only three months.

Service of Process in International Divorces

The next step in obtaining a divorce is to file a divorce petition, which requires service of process on the other spouse. When the other spouse is located abroad, service can be difficult in some cases. In the United States, service of process is usually performed personally, but this is not always possible to do if the other spouse is living in a foreign country. But even if personal service of process is not possible in your international divorce, there are other options for satisfying the requirements of the process of service.

The easiest, but often most expensive option, involves hiring a foreign process server to make the personal service of process. In some cases, hiring a foreign process server can be prohibitively expensive. However, other options exist. For instance, if you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse are in mutual agreement that the divorce is needed, your spouse that is abroad can provide a waiver of their personal service.

When personal service isn’t possible because you don’t know exactly where your spouse is located, or when your spouse is unwilling to cooperate by providing you with a waiver of personal service, then the remaining option is to provide service through publication. You must request permission to proceed with service by a publication from the court, and you must also know in which city and country your soon-to-be ex-spouse is located in order to make a successful attempt at service by publication.

Get Help With Your International Divorce

Divorces can be overwhelming. If your spouse is living abroad, it can make your situation even more stressful. When you need help filing an international divorce, you can rely on the experienced professionals at Klok Law Firm LLC.

Contact us today for a free consultation.

  • 醫學美容-防染暈-潔膚-cosmetic-wiki
    Posted at 18:04h, 27 October

    pdc 【其他】pdc white mild 美白面霜 pdc white mild cream的商品介紹 pdc,其他,pdc white mild 美白面霜 pdc white mild cream

  • Football Solutions Tom Høgli
    Posted at 22:30h, 10 November

    Rewind four years and Paul Pogba was a team-mate of the mercurial Ravel Morrison at Manchester United in the youth ranks, now the pair could face each other in the Italian Super Cup. Ravel Morrison could be set for Lazio debut and reunion with former Manchester United team-mate Paul Pogba in Italian Super Cup

  • Futsal EURO 2018 - Georgia-Netherlands
    Posted at 10:48h, 22 November

    Steven Gerrard’s stunning red card during the 2-1 defeat by Manchester United was a ‘moment of madness’ borne out of ‘frustration’, according to former Liverpool team-mate Jamie Carragher. Steven Gerrard had a ‘moment of madness’ and 38 seconds red card came from ‘frustration’, claims Jamie Carragher

  • Nelson Bernacki
    Posted at 03:32h, 25 November

    Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back from now on. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great work, have a nice afternoon!

  • Kellsie
    Posted at 04:20h, 18 January

    You’ve maeagnd a first class post

  • Leland Hoivik
    Posted at 02:57h, 15 February

    Needed to put you that bit of observation just to thank you again over the unique thoughts you have documented in this article. This has been really surprisingly open-handed with people like you in giving unhampered all that many of us could possibly have sold for an electronic book to get some cash for themselves, particularly considering the fact that you might have done it in case you considered necessary. The advice also acted to be a good way to comprehend someone else have the same keenness really like my own to understand a lot more in respect of this condition. I’m certain there are many more fun situations in the future for individuals that look into your site.

  • SammyTwerm
    Posted at 14:54h, 01 March

    Read our in-depth iPhone XS Max review
    Read our hands-on iPhone XR review
    Read our hands-on Apple Watch 4 review
    iPhone XS price and release date
    iPhone XS

  • Georgetoott
    Posted at 23:14h, 06 March

    Los Blancos, with captain Sergio Ramos suspended after deliberately collecting a yellow card in the first leg, had been looking to build on a slender 2-1 lead from that game in Amsterdam and stay on course for a potential fourth straight European triumph.

    However, after Raphael Varane’s header rattled the crossbar, Ajax raced into an early lead through Hakim Ziyech before Dusan Tadic set up David Neres for a second in the 18th minute.
    Real Madrid were forced into two changes when Lucas Vazquez and Vinicius Junior went off injured, with substitute Gareth Bale hitting the post just before half-time.

    Ajax looked to have put the tie to bed when Tadic swept in a brilliant third goal just after the hour – which was eventually given following an extensive Video Assistant Referee review to check if the ball had gone out of play in the build-up.

  • Anthonydum
    Posted at 20:20h, 08 March

    Inter Rapid Wien live score (and video online live stream*) starts on 21.2.2019. at 20:00 UTC time at San Siro/Giuseppe Meazza stadium, Milan, Italy in UEFA Europa League, Knockout stage – Europe. Here on SofaScore livescore you can find all Inter vs Rapid Wien previous results sorted by their H2H matches. Links to Inter vs. Rapid Wien video highlights are collected in the Media tab for the most popular matches as soon as video appear on video hosting sites like Youtube or Dailymotion. We’re not responsible for any video content, please contact video file owners or hosters for any legal complaints tinyurl.

  • DerekUphor
    Posted at 20:55h, 10 March

    Ernest Quintana, 78, was at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Fremont when a doctor – appearing on the robot’s screen – informed him that he would die within a few days.

    A family friend wrote on social media that it was “not the way to show value and compassion to a patient“.

    The hospital says it “regrets falling short” of the family’s expectations.

    Mr Quintana died the next day.

  • Henryduppy
    Posted at 19:53h, 12 March

    Theresa May says she has secured “legally binding” changes to her Brexit deal, a day ahead of MPs voting on it.

    But European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker” warned if the deal was voted down there was “no third chance”.

    They spoke at a joint press conference in Strasbourg after a late meeting.

  • Henryduppy
    Posted at 20:54h, 14 March

    These three figures — William Rick Singer, Mark Riddell and Rudolph Meredith, respectively — are at the center of the nationwide scandal in which 33 parents are accused of using their wealth and means to help their children game the college admissions system.
    But those three names do not appear anywhere in the complaint text, though the document gives enough clues to make clear who is who. Instead, they are named as Cooperating Witness 1, 2 and 3, and each agreed to plead guilty and to cooperate with the government in the hope of obtaining leniency when they are sentenced, the complaint says.

  • FrankCal
    Posted at 19:05h, 16 March

    Trump was surrounded at Friday’s event by officials from Customs and Border Protection as well as surviving family members of those who have loved ones killed by undocumented immigrants. Attorney General William Barr was also at the President’s veto event.
    While some lawmakers including some Republicans — have argued against the President’s use of national emergency powers in this instance, the Justice Department set forth a robust defense of the President’s authority to do so in a letter to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell earlier this month, according to a copy obtained by CNN on Friday.
    “The President acted well within his discretion in declaring a national emergency concerning the southern border,” wrote Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd, setting out the legal basis for the proclamation under the National Emergencies Act and additional statutory authorities, which largely tracks an internal memo issued by the Office of Legal Counsel at the Justice Department.

  • Jesseben
    Posted at 07:03h, 19 March

    On how she landed on her direction in life:

    “I always knew I was meant to be working in art, I just never knew how. In school, was so confused and always switched my majors around. In 2015, I decided to take a break from school to help out at home and that’s when I discovered my passion for fashion illustration. I drew/a> an illustration of Jhene Aiko and she liked it on Instagram. It kind of grew from there.”

  • наборы для полного вышивания бисером
    Posted at 11:42h, 25 March

    நித்ய கல்யானி – சாமுராய்,காஷ்மீர் மக்கள் பாகிஸ்தானுடன் சேர நினைக்கிறார்கள் என்பது ஆர்எஸ்எஸ்சினுடைய விஷப் பிரச்சாரம். அடுத்து காஷ்மீர் இந்தியாவில் ஒரு பகுதி என்பது அதைவிட மிகப்பெரிய மோசடி. காஷ்மீரின் விடுதலைப்போராட்ட வரலாற்றை படித்தவர்கள் அவர்கள் இரு நாட்டுடனுடன் சேர விரும்பாமல் தனியாக இருந்ததையும், இந்திய அரசு வஞ்சகத்தால் அதை தன்னகத்தே இணைத்துக்கொண்டதையும் புரிந்து கொள்ளலாம்.எல்லாவற்றுக்கும் மேல் காஷ்மீரிகள் என்ன விரும்புகிறார்கள் என்பதே இங்கு முக்கியம். அவர்கள் தனிநாடாக இருக்க விரும்பினால் அதை அம்மக்கள் முடிவு என்று விட்டுவிடுவதுதான் சரியானது. இது ஏதோ காஷ்மீர் என்றில்லை வடகிழக்கு மாநிலங்களையும் இந்தியா இப்படித்தான் ஆக்கிரமித்துள்ளது என்பதும் குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

  • RodneyRuh
    Posted at 00:25h, 26 March

    Christina was born in the royal castle Tre Kronor on 18 December S. 8 December] 1626. Her parents were the Swedish king Gustavus Adolphus and his German wife, Maria Eleonora, had already had two daughters—a stillborn princess in 1620, and then the first Princess Christina, who was born in 1623 and died the following year.3] Excited expectation surrounded Maria Eleonora’s third pregnancy in 1626. When the baby was born, it was first thought to be a boy as it was “hairy” and screamed “with a strong, hoarse voice.”she later wrote in her autobiography that, “Deep embarrassment spread among the women when they discovered their mistake.” The king, though, was very happy, stating, “She’ll be clever, she has made fools of us all!”6] From most accounts, Gustav Adolf appears to have been closely attached to his daughter, and she appears to have admired him greatly.

  • RichardNab
    Posted at 05:17h, 29 March

    A court has ruled that the building is illegal, and the €57 million ($64 million) Chateau Diter will now have to be knocked down.
    Property developer Pierre Diter, who owns the chateau in the town of Grasse, in Southern France, has 18 months to raze the building and faces a fine of €200,000 ($226,000), Pierre-Jean Gaury, attorney general at the court of appeal in Aix-en-Provence, told CNN.
    “Patrick Diter was accused of having executed important works on a land without authorization,” said Gaury.

  • HerbertChuts
    Posted at 23:27h, 04 April

    Despite residing in Germany for nearly 30 years, there are still some things I cannot wrap my mind around. I may have married a German, pay German taxes, and have German(-American) children, but I guess my US mentality still shines through.

    Like when it comes to personal space. I’ll be standing in the supermarket, in front of a shelf full of products, deliberating over the selection, and inevitably a hand will slip itself in front of my face and grab an item from the row. Many Germans seem to not have any qualms about this at all, but it still takes me aback sometimes.

  • EdwardTam
    Posted at 03:19h, 08 April

    French President Emmanuel Macron has appointed a panel of experts to investigate France’s actions during the Rwandan genocide 25 years ago on April 7.

    Macron has also met representatives of a group of survivors in. Paris

  • CharlesKal
    Posted at 00:22h, 09 April

    Rai News: il primo canale all news italiano. Scopri le ultime notizie in tempo reale. News e aggiornamenti su politica, cronaca, esteri, economia, sport e attualita.

  • CharlesKal
    Posted at 14:56h, 11 April

    Ryska militarfartyg kommer till Filippinerna samtidigt som spanningen okar kring Sydkinesiska sjon. Men framfor allt expanderar nu Kina langt us i Stilla havet. Det vacker oro i USA eftersom Kina anses hota de amerikanska ubatar som ar helt avgorande vid en konflikt.

  • Rickyhem
    Posted at 13:50h, 13 April

    The Portuguese road Prevention agency (PRP) has this week called for more and improved traffic stops in Portugal. The agency has also deemed current actions by law enforcement officials as ineffective in dealing with the majority of serious traffic offences.

  • Phillipnig
    Posted at 12:04h, 15 April


  • Barrybar
    Posted at 06:33h, 18 April

    The series of conversations with the Warsaw Ghetto survivors was conducted to commemorate the 76 th anniversary of the outbreak of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising that falls on the 19th of April.

  • NelsonAnams
    Posted at 16:50h, 19 April

    text messaging, or texting, is the act of composing and sending electronic messages, typically consisting of alphabetic and numeric characters, between two or more users of mobile devices, desktops/laptops, or other type of compatible computer.

  • RichardVub
    Posted at 00:08h, 22 April
  • Arnoldbaf
    Posted at 05:21h, 24 April

    Check out Motherfucka feat. Ricardo … Motherfucka

  • Austgex
    Posted at 09:55h, 24 April

    Acheter Viagra 50 como usar propecia Metformin 1000 Mg Canada Without Rx Propecia Experience Hair Transplant 362 Mexican Pharmacies In Tijuana

  • Wendellmug
    Posted at 06:04h, 26 April

    Check out Motherfucka text.

  • WilliamBuigo
    Posted at 16:20h, 27 April

    Merci pour votre enregistrement

  • Williamcoela
    Posted at 03:44h, 29 April

    Merci text votre enregistrement

  • Williamcoela
    Posted at 05:37h, 01 May

    Merci text votre enregistrement

  • Williamcoela
    Posted at 04:59h, 03 May

    text for you

  • gamefly free trial
    Posted at 09:54h, 04 May

    Wow, awesome weblog layout! How long have you ever been blogging for?
    you made running a blog glance easy. The total glance of
    your web site is wonderful, as neatly as the content material!

  • BillyUrink
    Posted at 00:43h, 05 May

    text for you

  • Richardwhorp
    Posted at 02:59h, 07 May
  • download minecraft pc
    Posted at 10:32h, 08 May

    Hi colleagues, its enormous paragraph regarding educationand completely defined, keep it up all the time.

  • download minecraft pc
    Posted at 07:59h, 09 May

    This paragraph is genuinely a good one it helps new web
    users, who are wishing in favor of blogging.

  • Steveninina
    Posted at 20:03h, 10 May

    Google News is a news aggregator and app developed by text. It presents a continuous, customizable flow of articles organized from thousands of publishers and magazines. Google News is available on Android, iOS, and the web. A beta version was launched in September 2002, and released officially in January 2006.

  • g
    Posted at 00:03h, 11 May

    Yes! Finally something about g.

  • g
    Posted at 07:53h, 11 May

    This piece of writing gives clear idea designed
    for the new visitors of blogging, that genuinely how to do running
    a blog.

  • g
    Posted at 18:09h, 11 May

    I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well
    as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you
    modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent
    quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one these days.

  • g
    Posted at 03:42h, 13 May

    Hello, this weekend is fastidious in favor of me, as this point in time i am reading this fantastic informative paragraph
    here at my home.

  • RichardKeymn
    Posted at 07:27h, 13 May

    Google News is a news aggregator and app developed by text. It presents a continuous, customizable flow of articles organized from thousands of publishers and magazines. Google News is available on Android, iOS, and the web. A beta version was launched in September 2002, and released officially in January 2006.

  • minecraft pc download
    Posted at 15:05h, 14 May

    Hi everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at
    this web site, and piece of writing is in fact
    fruitful for me, keep up posting these types of articles.

  • RobertWal
    Posted at 12:08h, 15 May

    El hooligan del Liverpool que avergonzo Barcelona la vuelve a liar con un ‘Steward
    El mismo personaje que se dedico a empujar gente a la fuente de Barcelona la ha vuelto a liar esta vez bajandole los pantalones a un steward.

  • Austgex
    Posted at 23:01h, 15 May

    Universal De Propecia Real Levaquin Discount Low Price Online buy generic cialis online Priligy Para Que Serve

  • how to get help in windows 10
    Posted at 16:18h, 25 May

    whoah this weblog is great i like studying your posts. Keep up the good work!
    You realize, lots of people are looking around
    for this info, you can aid them greatly.

  • Kelunfots
    Posted at 00:03h, 03 June

    Zithromax Dry Eye cialis without prescription Zithromax Z Pak For Sale Where To Buy Generic Isotretinoin Isotrex Shop Viagra Kopie

  • RobertWal
    Posted at 07:26h, 03 June

    Most presidents would go out of their way to avoid such sensitive topics at a moment of extreme political stress. In Trump’s case they may deepen his already intense unpopularity in Britain ahead of his arrival for a three-day stay on Monday but enhance his global reputation as an unpredictable, disruptive influence.

  • Tommyjed
    Posted at 10:22h, 04 June

    The biggest event will take place in Hong Kong, the only place on Chinese soil where mass commemorations are held. A candlelit vigil has been held in Victoria Park every year since 1990, with hundreds of thousands attending during key anniversaries way

  • MorrisCoope
    Posted at 14:45h, 06 June

    The biggest event will take place in Hong Kong, the only place on Chinese soil where mass commemorations are held. A candlelit vigil has been held in Victoria Park every year since 1990, with hundreds of thousands attending during key anniversaries way

  • RobertBlums
    Posted at 19:10h, 08 June
  • Austgex
    Posted at 22:27h, 09 June

    Pcn Without Apresrciption viagra How To Buy Macrobid

  • Leroyteelp
    Posted at 08:03h, 10 June
  • Leroyteelp
    Posted at 00:11h, 12 June
  • playstation 4 best games ever made 2019
    Posted at 15:26h, 12 June

    Your mode of explaining everything in this post is in fact nice, every one
    be capable of simply understand it, Thanks a lot.

  • Kelunfots
    Posted at 18:00h, 12 June

    Cialis Se Puede Comprar En Farmacias viagra sur internet Viagra Kaufen Erfahrung Comprar Priligy 30 Mg Entrega Rapida Effets De Priligy

  • Josephgen
    Posted at 21:50h, 13 June
  • quest bars cheap
    Posted at 09:41h, 14 June

    This is my first time visit at here and i am genuinely impressed to read everthing at single

  • Scottbig
    Posted at 00:36h, 15 June
  • quest bars
    Posted at 14:46h, 16 June

    I was recommended this blog by way of my cousin. I am now not certain whether this post is written through him as nobody
    else understand such special about my problem. You’re
    incredible! Thanks!

  • chaturbate tokens hack generator 2018 pc
    Posted at 00:38h, 17 June

    Very interesting points you have remarked, appreciate it for putting up.

  • MichaelLet
    Posted at 09:42h, 17 June
  • proxo key
    Posted at 07:55h, 19 June

    google bring me here. Cheers!

  • ThomasBus
    Posted at 14:23h, 19 June

Post A Comment